Is your computer slow? Computer sluggish? How often do you feel frustrated with your computer acting up, being slow, or freezing up? This article does not cover all the reasons, but when it comes to computers and why they run slow, it should give you a basic understanding on what causes slow performance, specifically for Windows-based computers.
• Your computer was running for a long time without a reboot
• Not enough free hard drive space
• Hard drive corrupted or fragmented
• The computer is Infected with a Virus or Malware
• Hardware conflicts and outdated drivers
• Too many background programs
• Computer or processor is overheating
• Your version of Windows (or any other platform you may be using) or other software is out of date
• Hardware failure
• The computer is too old…
Fixes for when your computer is running slow and Windows is unresponsive
Reboot your computer
When is the last time you rebooted your computer? Sometimes it helps to reboot your computer or power it off and turn it back on. Make sure to reboot it before following any of the fixes below.
Scan for malware or viruses
When your computer is infected with one or more viruses it can cause your computer to run slow. Use your antivirus software scan and clean your computer of viruses. You can also try to remove the computer virus without using antivirus software
• Run the Windows Command Prompt with the Admin privilege.
• Type the command: attrib j:*.* /d /s -h -r -s and hit Enter. (Replace the drive letter j with your own external hard drive’s drive letter. Must be logged in a as administrator.)
• Then run your antivirus software.
• Or boot your computer into safe mode and run your antivirus software from there.
• There are a couple computer viruses that need to be scanned simultaneously with two programs at the same time. i.e. AVG and Malware Bytes
Open background Programs will make your computer slow
Deleting temporary files will help speed up a slow computer
As a computer runs programs, temporary files are stored on the hard drive. Deleting these temp files can help improve computer performance. You can use Disk Cleanup to delete temp files, and you can also automatically delete temp files. Delete duplicate pictures or documents to free up disk space and improve computer performance.